Category: Entertainment Files

NGO Wants Koreans to Boycott Mulan Film

I will be surprised if this NGO gets much traction with this boycott:

Korean activists hold #BoycottMulan banner during a press conference to boycott Disney’s film “Mulan” in front of Disney Korea in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, July 1. Boycotts against the live-action remake film spreads online in Korea once again ahead of its release in cinemas on Thursday after the film’s final credits thanked government entities in Xinjiang, which is accused of human rights abuses against ethnic minorities. Korea Times photo by Choi Won-suk

Boycotts against Disney’s live-action remake film “Mulan” are spreading online in Korea once again before its release on Thursday after the film’s final credits expressed gratitude to government entities in Xinjiang, China, which is accused of human rights abuses against ethnic minorities.

The Declaration of Global Citizen in Korea, an NGO working for solidarity with Hong Kong citizens, launched an online boycott campaign last Friday, urging social media users to share images calling for the boycott of the Disney film to raise awareness. 

On the NGO’s website, it said the film overlooked the violence in Xinjiang, where the film was shot, by thanking it, claiming that the Chinese government has been suspected of forcibly detaining as many as a million Uighur people, a mostly Muslim ethnic minority in the region, in prison camps in recent years. It cited the final credits of the film which thank local government entities and a local publicity department of China for being cooperative with the filming.

Korea Times

You can read more at the link.

Lee Hyo-ri Quits Instagram After Mao Controversy

Popular South Korean entertainer, Lee Hyo-ri has decided to give up on Instagram:

Lee Hyo-Ri

Singer and entertainer Lee Hyo-ri is leaving social media, she announced on Instagram Wednesday morning, following a wave of criticism from people claiming they were offended by a comment she made on an MBC show.  
   
“In the next three days or so, I will no longer be on Instagram,” she wrote. “It’s not because of the recent event (although of course I can’t say that it hasn’t been entirely irrelevant). I hoped this could have been the gateway for me to interact with fans who were always thirsty for my news, but this is more than what I’ve bargained for and it’s not easy.”

In an Aug. 22 episode of “Hangout with Yoo,” a reality show on MBC, she suggested that she take the stage name “Mao.” That resulted in a barrage of negative posts on Instagram by those who interpreted the comment as a slight toward Mao Zedong, the Chinese communist leader.  
   
“Hangout with Yoo” staff insisted in online posts that the name “Mao” was suggested generically and was not meant to make any sort of connection to the party leader. They also said that a different name has been chosen, while the scene has been deleted from the episode. 

Joong Ang Ilbo

You can read more at the link, but Lee Hyo-ri was attacked by Chinese social media users after joking about the Mao name. It makes me wonder if this is another 50 Cent Army operation?

Zombie and Action Flicks Revive South Korean Box Office

While U.S. movie theaters are largely shutdown, movie goers in South Korea are heading back to theaters:

Peninsula is the highly-anticipated sequel to 2016’s Train to Busan

With several exciting home-grown big-title releases, the South Korean box office is a bright spot amid the grim reality for the hard-hit film industry. Earlier this week, S&P Global Market intelligence and OPUSData numbers showed a 92% shrink in the Asian box office from January to June this year, compared to the first six months of 2019, as reported in Variety

Invigorating South Korea’s box office at the end of June, zombie thriller #Alive burst onto screens with its timely (and strangely resonant) story of two characters trying to survive a mysterious virus infecting the city’s population. Distributed by Lotte Entertainment, the film starred Yoo Ah-in and Park Shin-hye, and was widely-credited for sparking the domestic box office back to life. It became the first film in South Korea to surpass the one-million admissions mark since February. It has since grossed $13.4 million. 

Forbes via a reader tip

You can read more at the link, but the sequel to the zombie flick, Train to Busan, called Peninsula and a North Korea thriller, Steel Rain 2 have further brought the South Korean box office back to life this summer.

President Trump Bashes South Korean Made Film “Parasite”

I think President Trump’s comments show how issues with South Korea are on the top of his mind:

President Donald Trump is apparently not a fan of ”Parasite,” his biggest complaint being that the movie was made in South Korea.

Trump started talking about the Academy Awards during a campaign rally in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on Thursday. Parasite was named best picture, becoming the first non-English-language film to get the top honor.

”What the hell was that all about?” Trump said. ”We’ve got enough problems with South Korea with trade. On top of that, they give them best movie of the year. Was it good? I don’t know.”

Neon, the U.S. distributor for the subtitled film, shot back on Twitter. ”Understandable. He can’t read,” Neon tweeted.

The audience booed when Trump mentioned the Academy Awards and then cheered when he said: ”Can we get like ”Gone with the Wind’ back please? ‘Sunset Boulevard,’ so many great movies.”

Korea Times

Let me translate Trump for people that don’t understand him. It appears he has not even seen the movie; what he is complaining about is that he believes Hollywood should be making better American made movies instead of promoting foreign made movies during the Academy Awards. This is all consistent with Trump’s America first rhetoric he was been advocating for years on.

Tweet of the Day: North Korean Defector Worked as Scriptwriter for Popular Korean Drama

‘Parasite’ Makes History at Academy Awards, But Was It Really that Good?

It was a big night for the Korean film industry as the highly acclaimed movie ‘Parasite’ won four Oscars:

South Korean director Bong Joon-ho poses for a photo after winning four Oscars during the 92nd annual awards ceremony at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles on Feb. 9, 2020 in this photo released by AFP. (Yonhap)

 Bong Joon-ho’s sensational black comedy “Parasite” has bagged four Oscar titles, becoming the first non-English language film to win best picture.

At the 92nd Academy Awards held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday (U.S. local time), Bong’s seventh feature film, a tale of class division, won the ceremony’s highest prize — best picture. 

It beat out strong competition from “1917” and “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” for the win. Other nominees were “The Irishman,” “Jojo Rabbit,” “Ford v Ferrari,” “Little Women,” “Joker,” and “Marriage Story.” 

“Parasite” also won best director, best original screenplay and best international feature film. It is South Korea’s first Oscar-nominated film. 

Yonhap

You can read more at the link, but for those that have not seen the movie it is a satire about class struggle in South Korea involving a poor family using illegals ways to work for a rich family. Everything is going fine until an outside person breaks the balance that had been formed between the rich and the poor family. Things then go down hill very quickly.

I found it to be a well acted, filmed, and directed movie, but not one of the best Korean movies I have seen. In fact it is one of the few movies I have watched where I disliked every single character. It is definitely not something I would rush to go watch again. That is why I think this win for ‘Parasite’ had more to do with the weak competition it faced this year, left wing politics that love movies like this, and Hollywood trying to diversify.

But, maybe I am wrong, has anyone else watched the movie and thought this is the best movie they have seen?

‘Parasite’ Nominated for Six Oscars to Include Best Picture

Here is some good news for the South Korean film industry:

Bong Joon-ho’s sensation “Parasite” earned six nominations, including best picture, for the upcoming Academy Awards on Monday, becoming the first South Korean movie to compete at the world’s biggest film event.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences unveiled its final list of nominations for the 2020 Oscars Awards, to be held on Feb. 9.

“Parasite” was up for best picture, best directing, best original screenplay, best international feature film, production design and film editing.

It is the first time that a South Korean-made film has made it to the final nominees list of the Academy Awards.

Yonhap

You can read more at the link.