Tag: Busan

Mass Coronavirus Outbreak Reported at Nursing Hospital in Busan

This is just more of the new normal in South Korea of dealing with coronavirus outbreaks at different locations around the country; the latest area is in Busan:

Health officials disinfect Haeddeurak Nursing Hospital in Busan, southern South Korea, on Oct. 14, 2020, following a mass outbreak of coronavirus infections there. (Yonhap)

More than 50 patients and workers at a nursing hospital in Busan have been diagnosed with COVID-19, municipal authorities said Wednesday, in the southern port city’s latest coronavirus cluster.

The authorities said 43 patients of the Busan nursing hospital, located in the city’s Mandeok neighborhood, and its 10 staff members tested positive for the new coronavirus. One of the infected patients has already died, they added.

The authorities also said that four other people from the same room as the deceased have died with similar symptoms.

Including the four, eight deaths have been reported in the nursing hospital over the last month.

The mass virus infections have come to light after an assistant nurse in her 50s was confirmed to be infected Tuesday, prompting the authorities to conduct the coronavirus tests for all 261 patients and staff.

Yonhap

You can read more at the link.

American Consul Called In Due to Rowdy Americans in Busan

Here is some more blowback from the group of Americans acting like idiots this past weekend in Busan:

The American consul in Busan was called in by city authorities Wednesday over the firework mayhem caused by a group of Americans, including soldiers, on the Fourth of July.  
   
The Busan Metropolitan Government said in a statement Thursday that Woo Kyoung-ha, the city’s ambassador for international relations, summoned U.S. Consul Aaron Tiffany on the order of Acting Busan Mayor Byeon Sung-wan to express “strong regret” about the incident last Saturday and ask the U.S. Consulate that it doesn’t happen again.  
   
“Many Americans, including U.S. soldiers stationed in Korea, caused public anxiety on July 4 by shooting firecrackers in Haeundae and roaming around the streets without wearing face masks,” Woo was quoted by the city government as telling the consul.

Joong Ang Ilbo

You can read more at the link.

Picture of the Day: Yonggung Suspension Bridge Reopens

Yonggung Suspension Bridge reopening
Yonggung Suspension Bridge reopening
People line up to cross the newly reopened Yonggung Suspension Bridge in Amnan Park, in Busan, 453 kilometers southeast of Seoul, on June 4, 2020. Busan’s Seo Ward, which provided the photo, said top municipal officials attended the opening ceremony earlier in the day, some 18 years after the old bridge was dismantled. (Yonhap)