Tag: ROK military

Facts About South Korea’s Mandatory Military Service

The Stars & Stripes has a good Q&A on South Korea’s mandatory military service:

Q: Who has to serve in South Korea’s military?

A: All able-bodied South Korean men are required to enlist in the military by age 28. K-pop stars aren’t exempt from service, but they have been granted the ability to defer their enrollment until age 30 for contributions to “enhancing Korea’s international image.” At 30 years old, Jin, whose full name is Kim Seok-jin, is the oldest member of BTS and was running out of time to defer, as officials mulled whether to exempt K-pop stars from service. Just weeks before a December enlistment deadline, Jin rescinded his deferral, setting forth his path to military service.

Men with physical limitations or health concerns are allowed to perform alternative service, such as holding administrative roles in the community. Men with religious concerns — most notably Jehovah’s Witnesses — were previously jailed for refusing compulsory military service. In recent years, however, conscientious objectors have been allowed to take community service roles.

Artists and classical musicians who have won awards for their work are allowed to perform alternative service — which requires teaching and performing — as long as the award is officially recognized by the Defense Ministry. (BTS has not won such an award.) Professional athletes who won international honors are also allowed to do alternative service corresponding with their expertise. Korean adoptees who choose to reinstate their nationality — many of whom don’t speak their native language — are granted an exemption from compulsory service.

Q: How long does South Korea’s military service last?

A: Those who are required to serve in the military must do so for at least 18 months, although the length of service can vary by branch. Conscripts serve for 18 months in the army and the marines, 20 months in the navy, and 21 months in the air force. The first few weeks of service are usually spent at a basic training camp before soldiers are moved to the roles in which they will finish the rest of their enlistment.

Stars & Stripes

You can read more at the link.

South Korea Announces That They Will Develop an Air Launched Cruise Missile By 2028

Considering South Korea’s technical prowess a ALCM shouldn’t be too hard for them to develop:

South Korea’s arms procurement agency will launch a program to develop a long-range, air-launched cruise missile (ALCM), the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA), said, Monday. DAPA said it will spend 190 billion won ($145 million) to produce the nation’s first domestically developed ALCM by 2028, and that it will be mounted on the KF-21 fighter jet, currently under development by Korea.

The ALCM is anticipated to be capable of hitting a target up to 500 kilometers away with pinpoint accuracy, and will become a core asset of the KF-21, DAPA added.

The ALCM is a completely new endeavor for South Korea, due to a lack of technologies involving the safe mounting of missiles on an aircraft and separating them for use. But research from 2019 to 2021 has confirmed the feasibility of the development project, according to DAPA. 

Korea Times

You can read more at the link.

North Korea Makes False Claims that ROK Military has Restarted Loudspeaker Operations

Once again this all an attempt by North Korea to create tension and justify provocations in an attempt to get Seoul to respond in a way that justifies their upcoming nuclear test:

South Korean soldiers dismantle loudspeakers in Paju, Gyeonggi Province, in this May 2018 photo. Joint Press Corps

The issue of propaganda loudspeakers along the border may re-emerge as an area of disagreement between South and North Korea, in the wake of Pyongyang’s claim that Seoul has resumed the use of loudspeaker broadcasts. 

Diplomatic observers say the loudspeaker issue could ratchet up tensions further on the Korean Peninsula.

On Monday, while accusing a South Korean naval ship of intruding in its waters, North Korea claimed that the South Korean military has been staging provocations recently, including loudspeaker broadcasts along the border. 

However, the Ministry of National Defense said it is no longer operating loudspeakers along the border. Later it added that the South Korean military had recently used a similar broadcasting device ― installed at guard posts ― to notify helicopters for mobilization in operations to put out wildfires or transport emergency patients, a defense official here said.

The loudspeaker issue has been a hot-button issue between South and North Korea, leading to many disputes over the decades. Both sides have deployed speakers to direct propaganda at one another, and the North Korean regime has on many occasions responded sensitively to the matter. 

Korea Times

You can read more at the link.

ROK Defense Ministry Says BTS Will Be Able to Perform in Concerts During Military Service

It sounds like BTS is going to have easier mandatory military service than even most KATUSAs have, but at least they are doing their service unlike others who have found ways out of it:

Members of K-pop super group BTS will be able to participate in “national” events for the “public good” even while serving in the military, the defense ministry said Tuesday.

Col. Moon Hong-sik, the ministry’s acting spokesperson, made the remarks a day after Big Hit Music, the band’s agency, said all BTS members will fulfill their military service, starting with the eldest member, Jin.

“Our position is that we will provide an opportunity if they wish to participate when there is a national-level event for the public good or an event designed in light of the national interest,” Moon told a regular press briefing.

He added that such an opportunity can be granted to other service members under current regulations. 

Earlier this month, Defense Minister Lee Jong-sup told a parliamentary audit that BTS members will be able to join even overseas performances during their military service.

Yonhap

You can read more at the link.

Korean Prosecutors Seek Arrest Warrant for Ex-Defense Minister

This will be pretty significant if the prosecutors succeed in arresting the former ROK Defense Minister over the death of the fishery official by the North Koreans two years ago:

Former Defense Minister Suh Wook (L) and former Coast Guard Commissioner General Kim Hong-hee (Yonhap)

 Prosecutors sought arrest warrants Tuesday for former Defense Minister Suh Wook and former Coast Guard Commissioner General Kim Hong-hee in an investigation into the previous administration’s handling of the 2020 death of a fisheries official at the hands of North Korea.

The two are facing various charges, including dereliction of duty, abuse of power and creating false official documents in connection with the Moon Jae-in administration’s conclusion without sufficient evidence that the fisheries official was killed while attempting to defect to the North.

Critics have accused the Moon administration of drawing the conclusion to curry favor with Pyongyang.

Prosecutors suspect Suh deliberately erased intelligence reports that suggest the official, Lee Dae-jun, did not intend to defect, and ordered officials to write false facts for a report for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Kim — who was responsible for an investigation into the death at the time — is under suspicion of using fabricated facts to conclude that Lee had intended to defect.

Yonhap

You can read more at the link.

BTS Announces That Will Go Into the ROK Military to Complete Their Mandatory Service

Considering how many other celebrities have completed their mandatory military service it is only fair that BTS completes their service obligations as well:

This image, provided by Big Hit Music, shows BTS at the concert titled “Yet To Come in Busan” at the Busan Asiad Main Stadium on Oct. 15, 2022. 

All members of K-pop supergroup BTS will go to the military to fulfill mandatory service, starting with the oldest member Jin, the band’s agency said Monday.

“Jin will revoke his request to delay his conscription at the end of this month and will follow conscription procedures required by the Military Manpower Administration,” Big Hit Music said in a public notice to the local bourse. “Other members will fulfill their military duty in turn according to their individual plans.”

Jin, born in 1992, had his conscription delayed till the end of this year under the Military Service Act revised in 2020.

In South Korea, all able-bodied men are required to serve in the military for about two years. But the current law allows global award-winning athletes and classical musicians recommended by the minister of culture, sports and tourism to do alternative services in their respective fields instead of serving in active military duty.

Bills that would include globally recognized male pop culture artists, like BTS, in the program are still pending at the National Assembly amid a lingering debate over whether the K-pop giant should get exemptions in recognition of its contribution to improving the country’s brand image.

With Monday’s decision, the septet will pause working together as a group for the time being.

Yonhap

You can read more at the link, but BTS is expected to rejoin as a musical group in 2025 when everyone should have their mandatory military service completed.

South Korean Ballistic Missile Misfires and Explodes Inside a Golf Course

The ROK military was fortunate no one was hurt or killed by the is missile malfunction:

A photo uploaded to social media late Tuesday night by residents close to the 18th Fighter Wing Air Base in Gangneung, Gangwon shows a fire caused by a Hyunmoo-2 short-range ballistic missile crashing shortly after being launched. [YONHAP]
A photo uploaded to social media late Tuesday night by residents close to the 18th Fighter Wing Air Base in Gangneung, Gangwon shows a fire caused by a Hyunmoo-2 short-range ballistic missile crashing shortly after being launched. [YONHAP]

A Hyunmoo-2 short-range ballistic missile malfunctioned and crashed shortly after being launched from a South Korean military base late Tuesday night during a joint drill by South Korea and the United States, according to the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).  
   
The drill was a response to North Korea’s launch of an intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM)on Tuesday morning.  
   
In its initial 7 a.m. press release, the JCS said that South Korea and the United States each launched two U.S.-made Army Tactical Missile System (Atacms) surface-to-surface missiles beginning at 12:50 a.m. on Wednesday, which accurately hit mock targets and demonstrated the allies’ capability to deter further provocations.    (….)

The press release made no mention of a South Korean-made Hyunmoo-2 missile fired more than an hour earlier, which crashed almost immediately after its launch.  
   
Residents around the eastern coastal city of Gangneung, Gangwon, reported a fire and a loud explosion close to the location of the 18th Fighter Wing Air Base at around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night. Reports of the joint drill were embargoed until 5 a.m. Wednesday.  
   
Images uploaded to social media by local residents showed an orange fireball.  
   
The South Korean military was forced to issue a clarification about the Hyunmoo-2’s crash-landing after reports of the explosion spread.  
   
“Immediately after its launch, the missile flew inland instead of toward the sea and abnormally landed on a golf course on the base at a location approximately 700 meters (765 yards) from a civilian residential area,” said a military official who spoke to the JoongAng Ilbo on condition of anonymity, implying the missile’s trajectory had been intended for the East Sea.  
   
“The flames (the residents saw) were not from the warhead exploding, but rather from the propellant burning,” he added. “There was no damage to civilians nearby as the missile crashed within the base immediately after the launch.”   

Joong Ang Ilbo

You can read more at the link, but it appears the ROK military may have tried to keep news of this accident quiet until the social media frenzy became enough they had to issue a statement. This is definitely an embarrassing accident for the ROK military to have happen to them right after North Korea conducts their longest successful ballistic missile test yet.

ROK Special Forces Troops to Participate in Joint Training at the National Training Center

It is good to see the ROK military continuing to take advantage of the world class training offered at the National Training Center:

This undated image, provided by the Army, shows combined training exercises with American service members.

About 150 South Korean Army commandoes will leave for the United States later this month for joint training with the U.S. Army at the National Training Center (NTC) in California, officials said Sunday.

The special forces troops from a front-line Army corps will conduct joint exercises at the Fort Irwin training center for about a month as part of an annual training program the two countries have carried out since 2020 to establish a firm readiness posture.

It was the second time this year the two countries have held joint exercises at the NTC after some 100 officers from the Army’s Special Warfare Command staged special warfare exercises with the U.S. military at the training ground between June and July.

Yonhap

You can read more at the link.